Eliminating epidemic meningitis in sub-Saharan Africa
The Meningitis Vaccine Project (MVP) is a partnership between PATH and the World Health Organization.
The mission of MVP is to eliminate meningitis as a public health problem in sub-Saharan Africa through the development, testing, introduction, and widespread use of conjugate meningococcal vaccines.
Our objectives are:
‘Once such an initiative is accepted by all the countries, and a commitment is made, epidemic meningitis will be a thing of the past.’
Prof. Francis Nkrumah, Chair of MVP's Project Advisory Group
- To develop meningococcal conjugate vaccines that are appropriate for use in Africa.
- To monitor the effectiveness and safety of the vaccines in controlled clinical trials.
- To create pathways for the licensure of vaccines.
- To assure production in sufficient volume at a price that facilitates wide use in Africa.
- To investigate innovative ways to finance the procurement of vaccines through local, country, and other global programs.
- To introduce the vaccines through mass and routine immunization in synergy with other public health programs.